Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tomorrow Is Grocery Day...And That Scares Me

courtesy Wiki Commons
Tomorrow is grocery day in our house. And it scares me.
I don't mind grocery shopping. I actually enjoy it. But, tomorrow's trip scares me.

To me, as a food addict, the grocery store is my "candy store." All the saturated fat one could want. And the sugar! Aisles and aisles packed with sugary goodness. Halloween candy for sale by the half ton. Fresh baked cookies and donuts. All of it, lining the shelves, calling me with its siren song. "Come, eat me. This is what you love."

Every two weeks I would make a promise to myself to not purchase those items. Every two weeks I break that promise and fill my cart with the unhealthy choices. Or, I purchase both healthy and unhealthy items. Can you guess what gets consumed first?

Tomorrow's trip scares me because I am now more aware of what I am consuming. For the longest time, I didn't think I had a problem. I mean, it is normal to eat the whole bag of chocolate, righ? ( I am being sarcastic here). But now, I know that I have to work that much harder to make better choices when it comes to bringing food into the house. And it's scary.

The temptation is going to be there...aisle after aisle...to revert back to the old habits.

But, I am currently experiencing the most successful weightloss EVER...down 6 pounds in a weeks time. I am inching closer to my short term goals. My long term goals are becoming more and more attainable.

Tomorrow I will face a large obstacle in my fight to overcome food addiction...and it scares me.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, I wrote a book on these topics, and would like to send you a copy, so that you might post about it. Would you be willing to read it, do you think? You can begin to form an opinion at the book's site, fatboythinman.com, or my blog, michaelprager.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete